Back to Results
The Rescue Mission Alliance (RMA) is a Christian non-profit organization that has been serving the less fortunate in Southern California through emergency and long-term rehabilitation services since 1972. RMA partners with local churches to meet the spiritual needs of the people we serve. The Ventura County Rescue Mission (VCRM) is a 125-bed facility dedicated to assisting men who are poor, homeless, and or have substance abuse problems in Oxnard, CA. It is the oldest year-round shelter for men in Ventura County. VCRM also provides 36 beds of transitional housing for graduates of the residential recovery program.
The Volunteer Coordinator oversees all volunteers and volunteer-related events for Ventura County Rescue Mission. This position is responsible for creating and sustaining relational connection and coordination with volunteers, engaging them in vitality of service and our purpose. In addition, this role will plan and oversee key mission events throughout the year.
Working in direct collaboration the other staff, the Coordinator will ensure management of community partners through recruitment, selection, equipping, and leading of volunteers.
This is a full-time, regular non-exempt position reporting to the Director and located in Oxnard, CA. Compensation is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is eligible for overtime and benefits according to applicable guidelines.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Represent the work of the Ventura County Rescue Mission to the community in a truthful, compelling way through presentation and relationships.
- Work closely with staff to develop and sustain a volunteer centric culture, utilizing volunteers in every possible capacity and nurturing their development.
- Administratively support partnerships with area churches, agencies, and individuals.
- Manage volunteer database and schedules.
- Maintain documentation of volunteer process (filing, organizing, etc).
- Manage volunteer inquiries through email, phone, personal contact, and presentations.
- Oversee the volunteer recruitment, selection, orientation and training, and work collaboratively with Lighthouse and other Rescue Mission Alliance Volunteer Coordinators.
- Work in collaboration with the other staff in order to support and implement Church Partnership initiatives and strategies.
- Support and participate in Volunteer Trainings, Partnership Overviews, and other Community Partnership public speaking opportunities.
- Plan and organize special events throughout the year, such as Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas banquets, etc. which tend to be volunteer intensive.
Other Duties & Responsibilities
- Work as a team member with other RMA employees to the greater good of the overall ministry.
- Participate in applicable staff meetings, training sessions, and other VCRM or RMA meetings.
- Participate in VCRM cross-ministry events.
- A "Servant Leader" in actual everyday situations in alignment with RMAs Lead Like Jesus commitment and Mission/Vision/Values.
The Volunteer Coordinator will supervise volunteers as a part of their regular duties and assigned staff for special events.
- A solid Bible based Christian faith, compatible with RMAs Statement of Faith and an active member of an Evangelical church.
- High school education or equivalent; under graduate degree preferred.
- 1 or more years experience in coordinating volunteers and/or events, preferably in a ministry setting.
- Valid California drivers license and insurable under RMA.
- Practical experience using Microsoft Office in day to day activities
- Good leadership abilities: motivation, communication, judgment, coordination, measuring results, and reporting.
- Excellent people skills with an intrinsic understanding of how to best engage people and create a hospitable environment.
- Works well with a diverse group of people.
- High level of written and oral communication skills.
- High level of administrative and organizational skills.
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks as assigned.
- An initiator who can work under deadlines.
- Creative and logical problem solving.
- A teachable spirit and committed to team participation.
- PC knowledge including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
- Mission Tracker database (will train)
- This position requires extended times of work in an office environment in meetings and working at a desk on a computer and phone.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
Basic office equipment, such as computers, copiers, and printers.
Although this position functions to a large degree in an office or residential setting, as a part of normal duties this position will be in locations with an at-risk population where errant behavior and risk of infectious disease may be present, as well as commercial settings where medium duty equipment may be in use, such as forklifts and bailers. Appropriate safety considerations will be required to avoid illness or injury.
7/28/2023 4:11:37 PM