The time has arrived to accept submissions for Citygate Network’s Media Innovation Competition! The deadline for submissions is set to occur on April 19, 2023. The contest showcases some of the most efficacious media content crafted by Citygate Network members and is an exclusive benefit available to mission/ministry members of Citygate Network.
Make sure your entries meet the following criteria, and be sure to review the competition guidelines for further information.
The MIC opens March 15, 2023, and all entries must be submitted and postmarked by April 19, 2023. Check out the 2022 Winners page for inspiration now.
Newsletters | Brochures | Annual Reports
Judges for the 2023 Media Innovation Competition will evaluate print submissions based on a number of criteria, including:
- Layout: How well does the publication catch the eye, create a visual flow, and/or draw the reader's attention to the content?
- Content: Is the ministry name well-identified in the publication? Is the piece easy to read? Is the purpose or theme of the publication clearly communicated in the text? Do the headlines or "teaser phrases" highlight the content of the publication? Are captions related to the text? Is the publication an appropriate size and length?
- Human Interest: Does the publication appropriately share how lives have been changed through the organization's ministry?
- Effective Use of Photos/Graphics: Are the photos and/or graphics compelling, and do they accurately illustrate the theme of the publication? Are the photos and fonts properly sized for the publication?
- Uniqueness of Presentation: What creative elements are used to capture the interest of the reader?
- Ability to Evoke Response: Did the publication achieve the purpose of the writer? Did the publication produce a significant and measurable result?
Please note that print publications must have been produced in the 2022 calendar year.
Your logo says a lot about who your ministry is and what it does, and it needs to say it at a glance. It must tell the story of your mission but cannot read like a novel. Judges for the 2023 Media Innovation Competition will evaluate logos based on a number of criteria, including:
- The logo quickly identifies the ministry without the viewer knowing the logo’s rationale.
- Beyond identifying the organization, the logo gives the ministry an identity or brand.
- Good use of vector shapes (the logo displays cleanly).
- Good use of color (or grayscale if appropriate).
- Logo works at various sizes (business cards to mission signage).
Please note that logos must have been produced in the 2022 calendar year.
Judges for the 2023 Media Innovation Competition will evaluate photos based on a number of criteria, including:
- General characteristics: Originality, style, context, photographic vision, empathy, insight, validity.
- Technical criteria: Exposure, focus/sharpness, depth of field, color and/or tonal rendition, contrast, lighting.
- Visual and aesthetic criteria: Framing and choice of viewpoint, background, design elements and principles, appropriate application of photographic and/or manipulative techniques, visual impact.
- Content: Information, emotion, mood, feeling, symbolism, meaning, communication through the language of photography and visual art, the moment, relevance, subject impact.
- Viewer’s response: Visual, aesthetic, intellectual, emotional, excitement, interest.
Please note that photos must have been taken (but not necessarily used) in the 2022 calendar year.
PSAs/Commercials | Extended Videos
The contest includes two video categories: (1) PSAs/Commercials (60 seconds or less), and (2) Extended Videos (longer than 60 seconds) that tell a client's story, the ministry's story, or are used for banquets and fundraising purposes. Judges for the 2023 Media Innovation Competition will evaluate video submissions in both categories based on a number of criteria, including:
- Uniqueness of the presentation.
- Creativity, engagement, and ability to hold viewers' attention.
- Awareness of aspect(s) of the ministry.
Please note that all videos submitted must have been produced during the 2022 calendar year.
Websites | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Electronic media, including social media, is the standard for communicating in a fast-paced world. At Citygate Network, we encourage member missions to produce quality, innovative, and informative electronic media.
Judges for the 2023 Media Innovation Competition will evaluate website submissions based on a number of criteria, including:
- Content: How informative is the site? Does it cover the mission in a broad, deep, and thorough manner? Is the information useful, accurate, and up-to-date?
- Design: Assesses the site's layout and presentation. Does it lead visitors through the information nicely? Are the pages appealing and easy to use? Does the site use video, audio, and graphics? Is the site provocative and appealing?
- Originality: Does the site look at the ministry in a unique way? Is information available at the site that is found nowhere else?
- Response: Does the site encourage involvement in the ministry? Is the information updated regularly so that visitors will want to return to the site in the future?
Please note that websites will be judged in their current state during the judging period in 2023.
Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
Judges for the 2023 Media Innovation Competition will evaluate social media submissions based on a number of criteria, including:
- The ministry name is well-identified as part of the feed.
- The feeds naturally lead back to the ministry website.
- Ease of navigation from the ministry's home page.
- The feeds present the broad scope of the ministry.
- Giving, prayer, and volunteer opportunities are made clear.
- The feeds tell the story of what the organization does and who it serves.
- The feeds develop/strengthen the ministry's brand.
Please note that social media will be judged in its current state during the judging period in 2023.