Back to Results
Chief Development Officer
LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT / CEO
Wheeler has been blessed with strong leadership from its very founding. It has been amazing to watch how God has led people into this ministry, or up in this ministry and developed them into leaders. It has been His drawing people into this ministry that has allowed it to continue its outreach to the poor, the needy, the addicted, and those who find themselves homeless.
We now find ourselves in a state of transition. Those who have served in the Executive/Management group of this ministry have done so with honor, determination, dignity, and feeling a real call into this ministry. The Executive Team consists of people who understand ministry, finance, human resources, fund raising, special events and many other aspects which contributes to its success.
We are seeking to fill the role of Chief Development Officer. This position is responsible for the total fundraising and public relations of the ministry. On our website, you will find a description of the outreaches at Wheeler Mission. This will get you familiar with the vital ministry that Wheeler has in Indianapolis and Bloomington. The Position Description below describes the role this person plays in the ministry. You can certainly read more about Wheeler at our website www.wheelermission.org.
If you are interested in submitting your resume to be considered as a candidate, I encourage you to do so.
Rick A. Alvis
President / CEO
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) is the senior leader of Development and reports to the President/CEO. The CDO is responsible for coordinating activities related to the analysis, planning, execution, control, and evaluation of fund raising, donor relations and services, marketing, public relations, and special events. Acts as advisor to the President/CEO and Executive Team on issues related to fundraising, donor relations, and public relations. The CDO accomplishes those tasks through the supervision of teams responsible for fund raising, marketing, special events, volunteers, communications, donor services, grants, major gifts, and planned gifts.
Wheeler Mission (WM) is a privately funded 501 (c) 3 non-profit, evangelical Christian ministry whose designated purpose is religious. We are a Christ-centered ministry which is dedicated to sharing the Gospel and helping the homeless and impoverished. Wheeler Mission considers every position one of ministry and a vital and valued part of our team. Therefore, it is essential that all employees of Wheeler Mission have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and subscribe to our Mission, Vision, Statement of Faith, Core Values, and Qualifications for Employment upon hire and continuously while employed. Employees are encouraged and expected to share the Gospel as opportunities arise.
To perform the essential functions of this position successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following competencies:
1. Possess a sincere love of Christ and maintain a Christian walk that is evident of that love. Individual must be willing to sign and adhere to the Wheeler Mission (WM) Statement of Faith.
2. Possess an aptitude for management and Christian leadership.
3. Interpersonal skills - maintains confidentiality, remains open to others' ideas, exhibits a willingness to try new things; prioritizes work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
4. Adaptability - adapts well to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands and responds effectively to emergencies, frequent change, delays, or unexpected events. Must possess the ability to work effectively in a team environment with the Executive Team, employees, guests, and volunteers, and be equally effective working on individual projects with minimal direct supervision.
5. Oral Communications - speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates the ability to speak professionally - must be able to interpret spoken communications. Must possess the ability to speak in public relations or educational settings to small or large groups, and conduct team meetings.
6. Written Communications - must be able to read and interpret written information and communicate professionally in writing without spelling or grammatical errors.
7. Dependability - consistently at work and on time, willing to work holidays and overtime when required, follows instructions, responds to management direction, and solicits feedback to improve personal performance.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
1. Manage existing and develop new fundraising initiatives, including designing and implementing strategies for generating increased revenue for programs and capital needs. Routinely meets one-on-one with major donors.
2. Oversee creation of all written fundraising materials, including grant proposals, reports, appeal letters, special event invitations, etc. Develops professional partnerships and coalitions with outside vendors to advance Wheeler Mission's annual fundraising activities through direct mail appeals, major donors, foundations, special events, capital gift campaigns, annual operating gifts, and other areas as directed by the President/CEO.
3. Produce and publish mass communications marketing campaigns using WM website, Facebook, Twitter, and other appropriate social media sites consistent with Wheeler Mission's faith-based ministry principles, goals, and objectives. Collaborates with Marketing Director to develop the advertising, marketing, and promotion plans.
4. Cultivates and maintains a positive relationship with local Indianapolis and Bloomington media outlets. Develops positive press releases for rapid response to critical events in the daily news cycle. Ensures media strategy is consistent, timely, newsworthy, and reflects Wheeler Mission's programs strategic vision.
5. Responsible for developing and maintaining accurate information in the Blackbaud Raiser's Edge donor data base. Provides direction and oversight to Donor Services documenting donations and personal information, maintaining confidentiality of the donor data base. Partners with the CFO and Accounting Department to enhance and maintain gift processing policies and procedures to ensure thorough and accurate record-keeping of cash and Gift-In-Kind donations.
6. Responsible for supervising, motivating, training, and evaluating the communications, marketing, donor services, volunteer services, special projects, major gifts, grants, and special events personnel. Looks for opportunities to increase employee engagement.
7. Collaborates with Human Resources (HR) to establish legal and effective personnel policies and programs including, hiring, employee orientation, training, performance evaluations, and terminations. Responsible for creating and sending personnel documents to HR for storage in permanent personnel files.
8. Develops and manages the Development Department's annual budget. Monitors departmental expenses, adhering to WM Internal Control policies/procedures. Continually looks for areas of potential savings. CDO is responsible for the Development and Gift-In-Kind Manuals and works to obtain compliance throughout the organization.
9. CDO is responsible for planning and conducting Wheeler Mission special events, including, developing safety and security plans in cooperation with the Safety and Security Committee.
Works primarily in development and public relations program areas and interacts with people at all levels of the organization and community, including donors, employees, program guests, volunteers, vendors, community organizations, and Central Indiana churches. Works primarily out of the downtown Administrative Offices, but frequently travels to Bloomington to oversee donor programs, volunteer operations, and special events. Meets weekly, and as-needed either in-person or electronically with Development Directors and staff personnel. This position is eligible to work from home or off-site.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will work primarily in an office environment. Physical demands are minimal. Special events generally occur outside in seasonal weather conditions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice at the discretion of the President/CEO.
1. Required to attend all Executive Team meetings, Leadership Meetings, and Staff Gatherings.
2. Compiles periodic reports for the President/CEO and Board of Directors.
3. Numerous speaking engagements at community churches, businesses, and civic organizations.
4. Schedules multiple individual meetings each week with existing and potential major donors.
5. Develop the annual department objectives, work plans, and schedule. This includes: developing and supervising all publications that represent the ministries of Wheeler Mission, coordinating and managing a planned giving program, implementing and directing major gift solicitation program to corporations and affluent individuals, writing foundation grants for annual operations, capital projects, and program expansion funding.
6. The CDO will establish working relationships with local media and will be the primary "on camera" ambassador for WM. The CDO will write and submit press releases and media advisories at the direction of the President/CEO.
7. Present a realistic annual budget for Development to the President/CEO. Budget request must include funding recommendations and Development goals and objectives during the budget period.
8. Maintain some type of function in the ministering to individuals within the organization. This may include weekly devotions among the Development team, or occasionally speaking in all-staff gatherings.
9. Organizes and guides capital campaigns including:
a. CDO directs the coordination of capital campaigns in conjunction with the President/CEO and the capital campaign Chair. This includes identifying prospects, arranging meetings with prospects, and overseeing special events for the campaign.
b. Develop profiles for prospective donors and current donors through research and leads provided from participants in the campaign.
c. Encourage, motivate, and gives direction to board members and the President/CEO on cultivating potential donors.
d. Prepare proposals for potential individual donors, foundations, churches, and corporations.
e. Develop the necessary promotional materials for capital campaigns.
Required Education and Experience:
1. Must possess a B.A. or B.S. degree from an accredited college or university.
2. Must possess professional training in Business Administration, Non-Profit Administration, Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English, or a closely related field of endeavor.
3. Two (2) years of experience in working in a non-profit organization or Christian ministry.
4. Five (5) years of experience working in an upper level supervisory or management role.
5. Must have a sincere love for the Lord and a desire to see individuals come to a personal relationship with Christ and grow in Him.
6. Must be in agreement with the philosophy and policies of the ministry and be able to view this as a team ministry with a servant's heart.
7. Must possess high-level knowledge and experience in leadership, fund-raising/development, public speaking, and administration.
Preferred Education and Experience:
1. Master's Degree in Business Administration, Non-Profit Administration, Corporate Communications, Public Relations, Management, or Journalism.
2. Five (5) years of experience working in a Development Department with annual revenues exceeding $10 million.
3. Proven experience in planned giving, middle/major donor cultivation, or capital campaign fundraising.
Background Investigation and Drug Testing:
1. After a "conditional offer of employment" is made, the individual must pass a background investigation which includes a consumer credit investigative report.
2. Wheeler Mission has a mandatory drug testing policy for all new employees. The successful applicant must submit to and pass a drug and/or alcohol test. This drug and/or alcohol testing may occur any time after the applicant receives a conditional offer of employment. All employees must sign and adhere to WM Drugs and Alcohol policy and remain free from addiction to drugs or alcohol.
Statement of Conflict of Interest/Confidentiality
This position requires a Conflict of Interest Statement and a Confidentiality Statement.
The CDO position directly supervises 6-10 Department Directors, with an overall staff of 25 to 30 employees.
Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time 40-hour per week position, with flexibility, generally working, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Evening, weekend, overtime, and work on holidays may be required as job duties demand. Must be willing to be available on-call.
Frequent travel between Indianapolis and Bloomington is required. Travel is primarily local during the business day.
1/12/2021 3:28:43 PM