Back to Results
Men's Shelter Director
Job Title: Men's Shelter Director
Reports To: Director of Ministries
Date Revised: 05/2023
UGM considers every position one of ministry and a vital and valued part of our team. Therefore, it is essential that all employees of UGM have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and subscribe to our Statement of Faith and Core Values. Additionally, employees must be willing to lead and/or participate in Bible study, prayer, devotions and sharing the Gospel.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Provide leadership, vision and management to the Men's Shelter (Men's Rescue Department) and ensure there is effective teamwork between UGM departments. This position serves on the UGM Database Committee.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Key Result Area #1: LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
* Train, empower, and equip Men's Shelter employees to know and practice UGM's Core Values.
* All direct reports know and participate in the Outcome Based Management Process (PDPs, SMART goals, one-on-ones). One-on-ones with direct reports are conducted a minimum of once a month with a focus on coaching, staff development and ensuring position expectations are met and documented in the PDP.
* Ensure position training for all direct reports is completed within 3 months of starting position and that the New Employee Onboarding, Grace Blitz, and Life Language Seminar are attended according to HR direction.
* All Men's Shelter Staff review the Men's Ministry Manual annually.
* Each staff position has a current job description and clearly stated expectations designed to contribute to the objectives of the Men's Rescue Department.
* In partnership with the Director of Ministries, and Human Resources recruit and interview qualified candidates for positions in Men's Shelter.
* All new staff receive a safety and security orientation of the facility and understand emergency procedures.
* Employee hours are approved in the time clock system weekly, verifying paid time off, to ensure accurate payroll.
* Human Resources and the Director of Ministries are informed of any changes to personnel, e.g., employment status, job duties, personal information.
* Any actions taken against or by an employee are documented and sent to Human Resources and the Director of Ministries to put in the employee file, e.g., employee warning, incident report.
* An Employee Handbook and Emergency Action Plan is available for staff to review when needed.
* Directly supervise the Case Management Supervisor, Men's Shelter Chaplain, Lead Resident Assistant, and Facilities Services Lead, ensuring each position meets positional expectations.
* Oversee the operation of the 200 bed UGM Men's shelter including case management services, chaplain services, Employment Readiness Program, Resident Volunteer Program, and work therapy.
* Guarantee 24/7 staffing of the Men's Shelter by always maintaining a rotating on-call staff person.
* Maintain adequate level of supplies for shelter operations, conduct regular inventory reviews and order supplies.
* Oversee cleanliness of Men's Shelter, inspect weekly.
* Support the Men's Shelter case management process by personally taking on a case load of the 5 most difficult shelter clients and attending weekly case management staff meeting and work therapy meeting.
* Make certain Men's Shelter Services effectively serve the emergency and recovery needs of men experiencing homelessness, and services are offered with hospitality and promote the successful transition out of homelessness.
* Ensure the Employment Ready and Resident Volunteer Programs are being managed according to Men's Ministry Manual and include the components of employment training, Bible study, discipleship, bi-weekly case management, and money management.
* Make sure all ERP and RV clients have written case management plans in the Waypoint Database focusing on housing, employment, finances, recovery and spiritual domains and that plans are updated on a bi-weekly basis.
* In partnership with the ERP Coordinator and First Steps manager, maintain an upstairs bed capacity at 67 beds with vacancy rate of 10% or less.
* Ensure the Director of Ministries is updated in a timely manner on all critical activities regarding operations, public relations, policies and ministry events in your department.
* Provide a written department report to the Director of Ministries monthly focused on position expectations and department goals progress.
* Oversee safety and security of the Men's Shelter. Review video and written reports, within 24 hours, from all emergency, medical and security situations that happen at the Men's Mission facility to ensure staff responded in accordance with shelter policy.
* Regular team building and staff meetings are scheduled to maintain the effectiveness of Men's Rescue Department,
* Ensure all statistics and notes are entered into the Waypoint database in accordance with Waypoint Data Entry Standards.
* Make certain all staff are trained on how to use the Waypoint database and understand what information is to be entered into it. Operate as Waypoint Database Help Desk for the Men's Shelter.
* Conduct quality control inspections and clean Waypoint data on a weekly basis.
* Build relationships within the community through one-on-one networking, group meetings, and public outreach to help increase the impact of UGM services and help residents break the cycle of homelessness. Participate in the Spokane Homeless Coalition meeting monthly.
* Ensure effective stewardship of financial and In-Kind resources allocated to the Men's Shelter.
* Invoices and receipts are approved and sent to Accounts Payable within two days of purchase with a copy sent to the Director of Ministries.
* Credit card receipts are accounted for and statements are sent to the Director of Ministries within 5 days of statement closing.
* Ensure Gift-In-Kind policies and procedures are followed by all Men's Rescue staff.
* Requests for Maintenance are submitted to the Facilities Services Lead and followed up on as needed.
* IT and phone help requests are directed to IT Administrator and respond to follow-up requests when needed.
* Written procedure manuals are in place for each administrative, operating and safety process to help guide and train new staff and volunteers.
* Ensure UGM events occurring at the Men's Mission have client and staff assistance as requested.
Key Result Area #2: VOLUNTEERS
* Ensure each direct reports know how to request a volunteer and equip their volunteers for purposeful service.
* Ensure each Men's Shelter volunteer has a current job description with duties designed to contribute to the objectives of the Men's Mission
* Staff are trained how to interview and identify qualified and suitable candidates.
* All new volunteers receive a condensed safety orientation of the facility and procedures they will be working with.
* Employees know how to cast the vision of their areas of responsibility to volunteers.
* Use the Volunteer training and onboarding guide to ensure all volunteers are trained fully in their role within three months.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
* Committed Christian, able, and willing to model servant-leadership and interested in being part of a ministry for the poor, homeless, drug addicted and mentally ill. Grounded in the Christian faith as a mature, active member of the body of Christ. In accordance with Union Gospel Mission Statement of Purpose, Statement of Vision, and Statement of Faith.
* Strong Interpersonal skills - exercise compassion and discernment while modeling the teachings of Jesus Christ.
* Able and willing, as a unified team member, to honor the leadership, standards, and ministry objectives of Union Gospel Mission.
* Computer literate (Microsoft 365, Word, Excel, Outlook, Web Browser, Waypoint, UKG Ready HR); able to complete documents, reports and accurately record information. Willing to continue education as needed or required.
* Excellent communication skills: written, verbal and instructional.
* Must have a teachable spirit and the ability to manage multiple emotional and task related variables, listen, and make sound decisions in alignment with UGM's purpose.
* Minimum 5 years of sobriety, if in recovery.
* Minimum of 3 years living outside of a UGM facility, if applicable.
* Insightful, trustworthy, honest, reliable, model appropriate boundaries, and strong work ethic.
* Valid Washington or Idaho driver's license - required.
* CPR/First Aid certification - required.
* Yearly TB clearance - required.
* Criminal background check clearance - required.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL FACTORS:
Occasionally = 1%-33%; Frequently = 34%-66%; Continuously = 67%-100%
* Work is primarily indoors and may require climbing three flights of stairs, sitting, standing, bending, reaching, and going from building to building - Continuously.
* Requires working with a diverse population, many of whom struggle with homelessness, addiction and mental illness -continuously.
* Requires a sustained level of high energy, stamina, and the ability to move about all of the facilities on a regular and ongoing basis - frequently.
* Requires the ability to hear, see, and speak clearly -continuously.
* Computer (Microsoft 365, Word, Excel, Outlook, Web Browser, Waypoint, UKG Ready HR), Copier/printer, Phone, Fax, Breathalyzer, and Drug Testing Kit.
* BA in Social Work, Addiction Studies, Human Services, Mental Health or Organizational Leadership - preferred.
* Previous management experience in an equivalent, Non-Profit business - preferred.
* Proven experience and effectiveness in helping men in crisis or recovery - preferred.
* 5+ year's prior related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience - required.
* Proven previous management experience in leading a team - required.
Union Gospel Mission is a privately funded 501 (c)3 non-profit, evangelical Christian ministry. Our designated purpose is religious and we are a Christ-centered ministry which is dedicated to sharing the Gospel and helping the homeless and impoverished. We consider every position to be essential in the fulfillment of our ministry and Statement of Purpose. As such, each employee must have a relationship with Jesus Christ as their personal Savior and Lord. All employees must:
* Be able and willing to share the Gospel and participate in all of the ministry activities of Union Gospel Mission;
* Subscribe to Union Gospel Mission Statement of Faith and Statement of Purpose upon hire and continuously while employed;
* Adhere to Union Gospel Mission Employee Handbook.
Category: Program Management
5/31/2023 1:29:34 PM