Back to Results
Chief Financial Officer
Our Mission Statement
Buffalo City Mission exists to meet the spiritual and practical needs of the poor through the demonstration of the love and preaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
The purpose of Buffalo City Mission is to proclaim and demonstrate the life-changing Gospel of Jesus Christ, meeting the spiritual, physical, and emotional needs of men, women and children who are homeless or in need of hope.
This position plans, organizes, directs and controls the accounting and control function of the organization and reports operational results through accurate financial reporting.
• Work Schedule: Full time position, Monday through Friday, occasional weekends and holidays as needed for special functions.
1. Executive Management
• Serve as a member of Senior Leadership team
• Participate in key decisions pertaining to strategic initiatives, operating model and operational execution
2. Financial Planning and Analysis
• Prepare and maintain regular financial planning reports; Monthly profit and loss forecast by division (vs. budget); Monthly 12-month cash flow forecast.
• Complete analysis of financial results; Develop recommendations (strategic and tactical).
• Develop and execute analysis of various business initiatives (e.g., opening new operations, asset acquisition, new service launches).
• Develop and maintain capital budget.
• Assist in development of financial planning and analysis exercises/reports.
• Oversee and execute processes to ensure compliance with the Mission’s Lenders, to include the processing of monthly draw requests for the construction process.
• Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed.
• Oversee cash, investment, and asset management.
• Oversee financing strategies and activities, as well as banking relationships.
• Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans.
4. Planning, Policy, and Investor Relations
• Coordinate the development and monitoring of budgets.
• Develop financial business plans and forecasts.
• Participate in corporate policy development as a member of the senior management team.
• Engage the finance committee of the board of directors to develop short-, medium-, and long-term financial plans and projections.
• Represent the company to financial partners, including financial institutions, investors, foundation executives, auditors, public officials, etc.
• Remain up to date on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations.
5. Accounting and Administration
• Oversee the accounting department to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and function; supervise company nonprofit’s finance staff.
• Oversee and execute processes to ensure the timely completion of monthly financial statements to include the monthly reconciliation of all bank/investment accounts to the Mission’s accounting software.
• Oversee and execute processes regarding Cornerstone Manor LP and its intercompany relationship with the Mission.
• Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
• Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for federal and state funders, foundations, and company nonprofit’s board of directors; oversee the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial statements.
• Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns.
• Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
6. Team Management
• Mentor and develop a direct team, managing work allocation, training, problem resolution, performance evaluation, and the building of an effective team dynamic.
• Guide larger, cross-divisional teams outside of direct span of control within the five main company national nonprofit program areas.
• Oversee the organization's human resource function and departments overall performance.
• Oversee the Office Manager to include oversight of I.T. management for the organization.
• Oversee Grant Administrator to ensure organizations need for grant funding sources are being met and ensure all grants are managed properly with timely reporting per specific grant guidelines.
7. Accounting Activities
• Oversee preparation of month-end, quarter-end and year-end financial statements
• Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger maintenance, balance sheet reconciliations and corporate/overhead cost allocation
• Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems
• Serve as final point of escalation for Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable issues
• Develop and manage accounting staff
• Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors; Manage preparation and support of all external audits
8. Cash Management
• Oversee weekly cash management; Approve weekly payables; Execute check signing
• Oversee AR management and provide support to collections activities
9. Corporate Development
• Represent company in efforts with investment bankers and potential investors
• Prepare various analyses and reports required by corporate development efforts
10. Insurance/Real Estate/Legal Affairs
• Manage the company’s insurance program
• Manage the company’s real estate affairs consisting of leases and sub-leases with various landlords; Negotiate new leases or lease renewals; Coordinate with real estate counsel
• Manage the company’s legal affairs in the areas of cargo claims, bankruptcies and other small claims matters
11. Capital Project Management
• Formulate and execute plan to solicit local and national foundations for Capital Project support
• Develop on-going compliance matrix for funding streams
• Do operating budget modeling for the Capital project and project cash flow needs 10 years out – update as new information becomes available
• Set up long term compliance reporting needs with Mission management team determining data collection process to meet compliance requirements.
• As a true business partner to the CEO/Executive Director and Department Directors, assess organizational performance against both the annual budget and company’s long-term strategy.
• Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the CEO/ Executive Director and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
• Engage the board finance, audit, and investment committees around issues, trends, and changes in the operating model(s) and operational delivery.
• Assist in establishing yearly objectives and meeting agendas, and selecting and engaging outside consultants (auditors, investment advisors).
• Oversee long-term budgetary planning and costs management in alignment with company’s strategic plan, especially as the organization considers collaborations with external organizations.
• Represent the organization to all clients, volunteers and fellow co-workers in a Christ like manner that serves as an example of Christian behavior.
Successful candidates will have:
• Minimum of MBA; a CPA would be a plus
• Minimum 5 years of professional experience working as a CFO or equivalent, preferably in a nonprofit organization with an annual operating budget of at lease 10 million.
• Deep knowledge and understanding of the Office of Management and Budget Circular A133 audit.
• Experience working with information technology staff to manage finance and accounting software packages.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Experience in a senior financial-management role, partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies.
• Experience in or knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including sophisticated fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting.
• Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office
• A mature walk with Jesus Christ and the ability to articulate belief.
How to apply:
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Buffalo City Mission, Attn: Human Resources, 150 E. North St., Buffalo, NY 14203. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Please note the selected candidate will be required to submit to a drug screen and a background check. Buffalo City Mission is an EEO employer.
2/14/2019 3:16:07 PM